Definition of topknot in English:
1A knot of hair arranged on the top of the head.
- Many of them keep long hairs arranged as a topknot known as dhammil in their community but not all of them keep their hair in the same style.
- Crimping of the bangs will add texture and fullness to the front of your face while crimping of a topknot or ponytail will add height.
- Cassandra started wearing her brown hair in a topknot ponytail as it grew to her lower back.
1.1A decorative knot or bow of ribbon worn on the top of the head, popular in the 18th century.
- The Templars' helmet topknots fluttered in a mass of red cloth.
- We discern dangling-armed, doll-like Pierrot, the black-masked face and gaudy triangle-patched jumpsuit of Harlequin, the pert topknot of Columbine, the striped jerkin and rakish cowl of Mezzetin.
- In the later images she would have been vulnerable to the charge of excessive luxury by wearing a topknot - the cause of some considerable ballad debate over sartorial morality in the 1690s.
1.2(In an animal or bird) a tuft or crest of hair or feathers.
- All green, blue on the leading edges of the wings, a red topknot and red cheek patches; flies beautifully with a swooping flight, more or less like a rosella and it screeches as it flies and this is its territorial call.
- The Irish Water Spaniel is often called the clown of the spaniel family, possibly due to the unique appearance of a characteristic topknot together with a peak of curly hair between the eyes.
Definition of topknot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan