A small surface-swimming fish related to the killifishes, found in fresh, brackish, and salt water throughout North America.
- Genus Fundulus, family Fundulidae: many species, including the banded topminnow (F. cingulatus) and the eastern starhead topminnow (F. escambiae)
More example sentences
- The males are less responsive to non-threatening fish like topminnows (family Fundulidae).
- One form of aggressive behavior is dominance hierarchies, which are found in many groups (e.g. catfishes, minnows, cods, ricefishes, topminnows, cichlids, wrasses, blennies, and boxfishes).
- The Gila topminnow historically occurred throughout the Gila River drainage in Arizona, and even into New Mexico and Mexico.
Definition of topminnow in:
- The British & World English dictionary