Definition of topminnow in English:
A small surface-swimming fish related to the killifishes, found in fresh, brackish, and salt water throughout North America.
- Genus Fundulus, family Fundulidae: many species, including the banded topminnow (F. cingulatus) and the eastern starhead topminnow (F. escambiae)
- The males are less responsive to non-threatening fish like topminnows (family Fundulidae).
- One form of aggressive behavior is dominance hierarchies, which are found in many groups (e.g. catfishes, minnows, cods, ricefishes, topminnows, cichlids, wrasses, blennies, and boxfishes).
- The Gila topminnow historically occurred throughout the Gila River drainage in Arizona, and even into New Mexico and Mexico.
Definition of topminnow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan