Definition of topographical in English:
1Of or relating to the arrangement or accurate representation of the physical features of an area: the topographical features of the river valley
More example sentences
- The Celts, who came to this corner of the land about 300 B.C. were probably the first to give names to the topographical features of the area.
- The province is also developing new nutrient management zones based on soil classification and topographical features to identify areas more vulnerable to nutrient loss to ground and surface water.
- Geographically accurate topographical maps with close contours to show the drainage pattern at micro level are not available.
1.1(Of a work of art or an artist) dealing with or depicting places (especially towns), buildings, and natural prospects in a realistic and detailed manner.
- His son Pierre-Antoine the younger painted landscapes and topographical works in his father's manner.
- Much of the best of his later work was mildly topographical, inspired by his love of travel; it records journeys to Scotland, along the river Duddon, to the Continent, etc.
- For fourteen years I chaired the Works of Art Committee and sought to add to our collection of historical statues, busts and portraits, and topographical works.
1.2 Anatomy & Biology Relating to or representing the physical distribution of parts or features on the surface of or within an organ or organism.
- There was no topographical relation of inflammatory atrophy with either HGPIN or HC.
- A striking finding was a topographical relation of focal inflammation to sclerotic atrophy in areas with erosion of the epithelium.
- Neither a topographical relation nor a morphologic transition was seen between prostatic atrophy and histologic carcinoma or high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia.
- Example sentences
- Its most important clinical routine application is in the topographic description and follow-up of the glaucomatous optic nerve head.
- Most of this recent amateur digital cartography is taking place upon the solid foundations of government-funded topographic mapmaking.
- You can also obtain topographic maps from any map store.
- Example sentences
- It's a really interesting area, topographically even, with all the wild mines and huge manmade mountains.
- Replicas of statuary by Michelangelo, Bernini, Thorvaldsen are all over the place, artistically as well as topographically, with inscriptions lauding ‘This Sublime Work’.
- Re-development should be encouraged in the topographically highest points, rubble from the destruction should be ‘greened’ and then pulverized for landfill to help raise lots.
Definition of topographical in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.