Definition of topspin in English:
A fast forward spinning motion imparted to a ball when throwing or hitting it, often resulting in a curved path or a strong forward motion on rebounding.
- The topspin seems to be preventing lift that gets the ball over the infielders and outfielders.
- There's backspin, volleys, drop-shots, lobs and, of course, topspin - to recreate that element of surprise.
- Isn't it impossible to create topspin and get a ball airborne?
- Example sentences
- Everywhere there is talk of zooters and topspinners and flippers and loop and wrong 'uns and sliders, and mostly it sounds like us trying to convince ourselves his artistry remains intact.
- His first spell was particularly buoyant - he bowled Taibu for 3 with his very first delivery, and caused havoc among the tailenders as he whistled topspinners and legbreaks past cagey defensive shots.
- I can still see now the Hollies smile, the deceptively slow amble up to the crease, the ingenious mix of orthodox legbreaks, topspinners and googlies.
Words that rhyme with topspintiepin • clothespin
Definition of topspin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.