- A sad or sentimental song, typically about unrequited love.More example sentences
- Call it a torch song, or a saloon song - categorize it as you wish.
- The glossy black-haired beauty swayed up on the stage, her full breasts straining against the simple gown she wore as she sang a torch song.
- ‘Surrender’, meanwhile, is a sweltering torch song of exponentially intensifying guitar glissandos and unfettered angst.
- More example sentences
- At an outdoor plaza on Main, a crowd watches a free screening of ‘Seabiscuit’ Down the street inside the Sonnet Gallery, a trio accompanies a raven-haired torch singer of Cuban-style ballads.
- Last autumn the Essex torch singer played her first concert dates in six years and she so enjoyed the experience, she is touring again, playing York Barbican Centre tonight.
- It's as if they're trying too hard to show every last facet of this multi-faceted vocalist who appears to be as comfortable playing the entertainer as she is in torch singer or soul diva mode.
1920s: torch from the phrase 'carry a torch for' (see torch).
More definitions of torch songDefinition of torch song in:
- The British & World English dictionary