verb (torpefies, torpefying, torpefied)[with object] • formal
- Make (someone or something) numb, paralyzed, or lifeless.More example sentences
- She is not done with you yet: she has only torpefied your energies a little.
- I felt a bit like a torpefied Superman a lot of times - Ireland is my Cryptonite, when I'm there I can't do anything, I have to be outside the country.
- On my death-bed, I will choose upon your merits as I consider them, whether to return as an electrifying eel, a hoary stickleback or a shoal of quicksilver fish, adept at exploring new routes among the labyrinth passages within the flesh and bones of your torpefied body.
early 19th century: from Latin torpefacere, from torpere 'be numb or sluggish'.
More definitions of torpefyDefinition of torpefy in:
- The British & World English dictionary