- An instrument for measuring very weak forces by their effect on a system of fine twisted wire.More example sentences
- The first person to have a proper go at it was Cavendish, who managed to measure G in his famous experiment with a torsion balance about 200 years ago.
- In his last years he devised a method for weighing the Earth by using a torsion balance of his own invention, but it was left to W. H. Wollaston and Henry Cavendish to carry out the experiments after his death.
- These lengths of petiole were then mounted at each end in a torsion balance.
More definitions of torsion balanceDefinition of torsion balance in:
- The British & World English dictionary