Definition of tortoiseshell in English:
1The semitransparent mottled yellow and brown shell of certain turtles, typically used to make jewelry or ornaments.
- These included shell, coral, tortoiseshell, lava, jet, ivory, and paste.
- It was a strange coloured little creature, speckled brown like tortoiseshell.
- Originals or copies of Greek statues, objects of gold or silver, ivory or tortoiseshell, intaglios, cameos, and vases of precious stone accumulated in Roman palaces and villas, and statuary adorned their gardens.
1.1A synthetic substance made in imitation of this.
- He brushed a fringe of fine, mousy hair from his face and pushed his imitation tortoiseshell glasses up his narrow nose.
- I also noticed that my glasses, once tortoiseshell and chic, had become wire frame and sort of angular.
- You just pay a lot of money,’ he tells me, polishing his decades-old tortoiseshell spectacles across the table linen. ‘I could put my prices up to any level and the tourists would still come.
2 short for tortoiseshell cat.
- It is just a quirk that people would rather take on coloured cats like tortoiseshells.
- One of the curlicues was a black-and-white shorthair male; one was a black shorthair female; the third was a tortoiseshell shorthair female.
- The cat could be a tabby, a tortoiseshell, maybe even a Siamese.
Definition of tortoiseshell in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan