(also tortrix moth)
Definition of tortrix in English:
noun (plural tortrices-trisēz)
A small moth with typically green caterpillars that live inside rolled leaves and can be a serious pest of fruit and other trees.
- Family Tortricidae: many species
- MLEs were detected in the summer fruit tortrix Adoxophyes orana fasciata and the tea tortrix Homona magnanima, but no MLEs were detected in the parasitoid wasp Ascogaster quadridentata.
- Sugar pine tortrix larva with ivory colored spots, easily confused with western spruce budworm.
- The natural enemies can play an essential role in the regulation of the tortrix moths population dynamics.
- Example sentences
- This complex of pest species includes tortricid leafrollers, noctuid fruitworms and cutworms, and gracillarid leafminers.
- Among the species responsible for such early spring herbivory were 6 species of tortricid leaf-roller caterpillars, primarily Clepsis melaleucana, and a European slug, Arion subfuscus (Draparnaud).
- Our studies have demonstrated it is possible to simultaneously disrupt pheromone communication and mating in sympatric tortricid moths by releasing an incomplete mixture of their individual pheromone components.
Pronunciation: /-trisid/noun& adjective
Words that rhyme with tortrixadministratrix • oryx
Definition of tortrix in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.