A tropical American fruit-eating bird with a massive bill and typically brightly colored plumage.
- Genera Ramphastos and Andigena, family Ramphastidae: several species
More example sentences
- Mexico is home to toucans, vultures, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, parrots, macaws, and quetzals.
- Of course, year-round residents also make their homes among the bright red coffee cherries, including jays, wood creepers, hummingbirds, toucans, parrots, parakeets and other species.
- The quetzals have nowhere to go, so they nest in tree cavities within easy reach of the toucans who feast on quetzal eggs and chicks.
mid 16th century: via French and Portuguese from Tupi tucan, imitative of its call.
Definition of toucan in:
- The British & World English dictionary