1A strip of paper impregnated with niter, for lighting fireworks or explosive substances.
- At the time the first touchpaper was scheduled to be lit, cars were still queueing bumper to bumper on Netherhampton Road.
- Light the blue touchpaper, and retire to a safe distance.
- And he can light the blue touchpaper on a Roman Candle, but it may be impossible to tell whether the ensuing two second fizzing is the intended special effect or a product malfunction.
1.1Used in reference to an action that is likely to cause anger or controversy: it was an intervention by the umpire that lit the blue touchpaper
More example sentences
- By contrast, now I just sit there and wait for the magic word to set off the blue touchpaper.
- It was those last words that finally lit the blue touchpaper.
- I like to think that I am not unduly irritated by life, but the last week has finally lit my personal touchpaper.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of touchpaper in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.