Definition of toughie in English:
1A person who is tough, determined, and not easily daunted.
- When the going gets tough, you toughies really do get up - so make the extra effort this week to help others not fortunate enough to have been born Capricorns with some of your true grit, fortitude and soul support.
- The toughies she encountered during her teaching career knew exactly where they stood with her and respected her for it.
- College students are held in low esteem, thanks to commercial movies that regularly feature youth as toughies amid free-flowing booze, drugs, and gals.
2A difficult problem or question: Whom do you admire most? That’s a toughie
More example sentences
- But some students cracked real toughies, too, without batting an eyelid.
- That's a toughie, because there's no way to get around it - if they're fat-free, the cookies aren't so great, and you end up eating more.
- That's a toughie, because they sometimes want detail.
Definition of toughie in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India