Definition of touraco in English:
noun (plural touracos)
A fruit-eating African bird with brightly colored plumage, a prominent crest, and a long tail.
- Family Musophagidae (the touraco family): three genera, especially Musophaga and Tauraco, and several species. The touraco family also includes the plantain-eaters
- The number of extra steps required to unite hoatzin with turacos or cuckoos is large.
- The only animals to be found here are blue and Colobus monkeys and a variety of birds including hornbill and turaco.
- The turaco was found to differentiate among the calls of predators and those of competitors.
Mid 18th century: French, from a West African word.
Definition of touraco in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.