Definition of towhee in English:
A North American songbird of the bunting family, typically with brownish plumage but sometimes black and rufous.
- Genus Pipilo (and Chlorurus), family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae): several species
- I can hear the songs of migrating birds: phoebes, white-throated sparrows, towhees, catbirds, chipping sparrows.
- Not only is the Cape flush with cardinals, towhees, mockingbirds, catbirds, goldfinches and woodpeckers, its birds of the shore entice many a visitor here.
- Many birds feed comfortably on a platform, especially the sparrows, juncos, towhees and doves that are referred to as ground feeders.
Mid 18th century: imitative of the call of Pipilo erythrophthalmus.
Words that rhyme with towheetarakihi • takahe
Definition of towhee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.