A contagious bacterial infection of the eye in which there is inflamed granulation on the inner surface of the lids.
- The disease is caused by the chlamydial organism Chlamydia trachomatis
More example sentences
- The biggest health problems are tuberculosis, venereal diseases, malaria, trachoma, typhoid fever, and dysentery.
- Other diseases include hepatitis, trachoma, and tuberculosis.
- I saw the Chlamydial eye disease trachoma in the poor of Glasgow and lymphogranuloma in soldiers from a military hospital STD clinic in 1940 before the cause was known.
late 17th century: from Greek trakhōma 'roughness', from trakhus 'rough'.
- More example sentences
- About 7.6 million people have trachomatous trichiasis, the blinding stage of this infectious disease.
- Management of trachomatous cicatricial entropion of the upper eye lid presents a difficult problem.
- The distribution of abnormal eyelashes by the severity of trachomatous trichiasis is given in Table 3.
Definition of trachoma in:
- The British & World English dictionary