- A small raised area in the middle of a road that provides a safe place for pedestrians to stand and marks a division between two opposing streams of traffic.More example sentences
- The crowd outside the Town Hall was so large that people stood on the traffic island and across the road outside the shops.
- What is envisaged is twofold; traffic calming measures to warn motorists to slow down and a traffic island to enable pedestrians to cross the road safely.
- Just before we are crushed, he swings into a tiny hotel set down point, before swinging back across the road, over the traffic island and back into the correct lane.
More definitions of traffic islandDefinition of traffic island in:
- The British & World English dictionary