nounchiefly North American
1A pattern in the air above an airport of permitted lanes for aircraft to follow after takeoff or prior to landing.
- Become more aware of your surroundings; an airport traffic pattern can get extremely busy.
- Most first solos are no more than a couple or three circles around the airport traffic pattern, but it's a big moment in a student pilot's training.
- I had it happen once in the traffic pattern approaching a landing and had to open the canopy in order to see.
1.1The characteristic distribution of traffic on a route: the filming had screwed up the traffic patterns in town
More example sentences
- Chaos ruled on Pattaya Second Road again last Friday as motorists were thrown into confusion by the changeover when the traffic pattern was changed to flow one-way.
- There have been stories before about using mobile phone data to analyze automobile traffic patterns, but this is the first time I've heard of it actually being used in practice successfully.
- He recommended abandonment of the two routes after new surveys showed traffic patterns had changed and 90 per cent of congestion was caused by local movements.
Definition of traffic pattern in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.