Definition of trainer in English:
1A person who trains people or animals.
- He's the outstanding racehorse trainer, the trainer of flat race horses I suppose in the world.
- The committee included jockeys, owners, trainers, racing association members, and racing officials.
- She's one of those rare young people who touched counselors, teachers, coaches and trainers alike.
1.1 informal An aircraft or simulator used to train pilots.
- The naval air arm also had some Aermacchi 339 jet trainers - small aircraft that could be configured as light strike fighters.
- Moving up from simple trainers to more complex aircraft is well worth the extra effort
- After the war, a number of Pups came to Australia and flew until at least 1925, mainly as trainer fighter aircraft.
2A person whose job is to provide medical assistance to athletes.
- For a full assessment of the flexibility or range of motion of all your joints, see a physical therapist or athletic trainer.
- In Australia, trainers routinely provide swimmers with supplements.
- Most trainers require that a medical questionnaire be filled out first.
3British A soft sports shoe suitable for casual wear.
- I like smart/casual boots or shoes rather than trainers or sneakers.
- All you should need to take is a pair of very flimsy flip-flops or sandals for the beach, a pair of trainers or canvas shoes to wander around in and a pair of evening shoes for nights out.
- He will need individually made insoles permanently, and wear trainers rather than shoes for comfort.
Words that rhyme with trainerabstainer, arcana, campaigner, Cana, caner, cantilena, complainer, container, detainer, drainer, entertainer, explainer, Gaenor, gainer, Gaynor, grainer, Jena, Lena, maintainer, Marlene, N'Djamena, obtainer, ordainer, planar, planer, profaner, Rayner, retainer, scena, seiner, Sinn Feiner, strainer, sustainer, uniplanar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.