Definition of trample in English:
1Tread on and crush: the fence had been trampled down [no object]: her dog trampled on his tulips
More example sentences
- Conversely, the likelihood of me trampling anyone as I walk down the street is highly unlikely!
- There have been villagers in other parts of Zambia mauled by lions, trampled underfoot by elephants and hippos.
- Last year, 14 pilgrims were trampled to death during the ritual and 35 died in a 2001 stampede.
1.1 [no object] (trample on/over) Treat with contempt: a drug-testing device that doesn’t trample on employees' civil liberties
More example sentences
- ‘The country's relatively loose control over these companies has enabled some greedy bosses to trample on workers' rights’, she said.
- Born-and-bred residents are being trampled on by wealthy incomers who push property prices even further beyond their reach, they say.
- They had a big job to do in taking maintenance work back from numerous engineering companies, but that is no excuse for trampling over workers' employment rights.
treat with contempt, disregard, show no consideration for, abuse;
encroach on, infringe (on)
nounliterary Back to top
An act or the sound of trampling.
- The air got clogged with sounds of movement, clatters and tramples of feet and people.
- He heard the trample of a soldier and the muffled sound of the grenade going off.
- The woods began to move, too; and, with the familiar trample of horse hooves, an army clad in drab array appeared at its edge.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'tread heavily'): frequentative of tramp.
- Example sentences
- To them, he became a trampler of the rule of law, an embodiment of every reactionary set-piece American political culture has ever produced.
- We've selected six shoes that run the gamut from high-mileage hedonists to gym-friendly treadmill tramplers.
- The subject of his fourth vision warns would-be or current tramplers to leave the poor and needy alone.
Words that rhyme with trampleample
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan