Definition of transamination in English:
The transfer of an amino group from one molecule to another, especially from an amino acid to a keto acid.
- Glutamate is also a principal amino donor to other amino acids in subsequent transamination reactions.
- The key organic acid, 2-oxoglutarate, is mainly derived from sugar respiration and amino acid transamination reactions.
- The earliest enzymatic functions are mostly linked to amino acid catabolism: deamination, transamination, and decarboxylation.
- Example sentences
- Ornithine, in excess of urea cycle needs, is transaminated to form glutamate semialdehyde.
- In skeletal muscle, pyruvate is transaminated to alanine, thus affording an additional route of nitrogen transport from muscle to liver.
- It seemed the mitochondrial OAA must be transaminated or decarboxylated in the cytosol via a malate-OAA shuttle in order to maximize malate-dependent respiration.
Definition of transamination in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.