Definition of transdifferentiation in English:
The rare natural transformation of cells other than stem cells into a different cell type.
- Another possibility is to replace the missing function by causing transdifferentiation of existing cells.
- Further scrutiny has also thrown cold water on many of the transdifferentiation claims for other types of adult stem cells.
- Histology, immunohistochemistry, and ultrastructure were highly suggestive of transdifferentiation from cardiac muscle to adipose tissue.
- [no object]Example sentences
- This plasticity concept - the ability of bone marrow cell to transdifferentiate into heart muscle cell - is supported by experimental and clinical data.
- When we over-expressed Math1 in non-sensory cells of the mature cochlea, however, we found that it causes them to transdifferentiate or change their personality to become hair cells.
- Primordial germ cells that have been labeled using horseradish peroxidase or radioactive thymidine do not transdifferentiate, and very few transplanted cells persist outside of the gonads.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan