1Make a thorough or dramatic change in the form, appearance, or character of: lasers have transformed cardiac surgery he wanted to transform himself into a successful businessman
More example sentences
- The phenomenon is transforming the nature of technology service, an industry long infamous for being impersonal.
- The history of human progress is the history of humankind taking things from nature, and transforming nature for its own benefit.
- Program One was about that, and the ways in which that's transforming the nature of war.
1.1 [no object] Undergo a transformation: an automobile that transformed into a boat
More example sentences
- She adjusts her breasts and runs her hand over her hair, as she transforms into her character.
- And then, as I get older, it transforms into something else.
- This passage explicitly thematizes the way human temporality is experienced as some form of spatial movement - how space transforms into time.
1.2Change the voltage of (an electric current).
- Those receive their 11,000 volt current underground and then transform it to a voltage suitable for the domestic consumers in just one or two roads or streets.
- The wind plant captures and transforms wind energy into direct current electricity.
- There the signal is passed through the skin to the implant, which transforms the signal to electrical pulses.
1.3 Mathematics Change (a mathematical entity) by transformation.
- He replaced the differential operator d/dx by a variable p transforming a differential equation into an algebraic equation.
- Variables were transformed with natural logarithms or square roots to normalize residuals.
- He used them to transform Laplace's equation into ellipsoidal coordinates and so separate the variables and solve the resulting equation.
1The product of a transformation.
- In the bottom portion of the figure, the logarithmic transform of power is presented.
- The wavelet transform is designed to produce the best image possible given the bandwidth of the medium of transmission.
- A constant uncertainty on a linear scale transforms to a variable uncertainty on a log scale.
1.1A rule for making a transformation.
- Similar questions are investigated for the sine transforms rather than the cosine transforms.
- Aleksandrov further developed the integral transform method and used asymptotic methods to solve the problem for a finite thickness layer.
- The transformation rules may comprise both causal hypotheses and modal transforms.
- Example sentences
- Detachable sleeves, reversible jackets, transformable caps, drapes held up with snap buttons are not only user-friendly, but give people freedom.
- A fully transformable space, it can be sited just about anywhere, with a flexible, folding facade that opens up or closes the interior as required.
- And the notions of the ideas about man's relationship to nature, are, by their nature, transformable into expressions of society's relationship to nature, and of man's natural relationship to man.
Words that rhyme with transformconform, corm, dorm, form, forme, haulm, lukewarm, Maugham, misinform, norm, outperform, perform, shawm, storm, swarm, underperform, warm
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.