Definition of transmitter in English:
1A set of equipment used to generate and transmit electromagnetic waves carrying messages or signals, especially those of radio or television.
- Conversely, radio waves from a transmitter operating near the cable will enter the cable through these slots.
- The researchers used quartz crystals, like the wave transmitters in televisions and radios, which vibrate in an electrical field.
- Other covert radio transmitters available from security equipment dealers have serious drawbacks.
1.1A person or thing that transmits something: reggae has established itself as the principal transmitter of the Jamaican language
More example sentences
- Despite frequent inconsistencies and misapprehensions, the work was a principal transmitter of ancient science and Neoplatonic thought to the western Middle Ages.
- The queen's principal role was as bearer and transmitter of royalty, of which she took possession on the death of her husband.
- We must never forget that educators are not just transmitters of knowledge but cultivators of souls.
1.2 short for neurotransmitter.
- It is more difficult to deplete the supply of amine transmitters, which are made in the nerve terminal itself, so the ratio of the two transmitters released by nerve impulses will change.
- Other timely subjects included in this section are amino acid transmitters and neurodegenerative disorders.
- The chemical transmitter that mediates the change to pressures within the bowel has been identified as serotonin, a chemical found in the brain as well as in the bowel.
Definition of transmitter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan