Definition of transmitter in English:
1A set of equipment used to generate and transmit electromagnetic waves carrying messages or signals, especially those of radio or television.
- Conversely, radio waves from a transmitter operating near the cable will enter the cable through these slots.
- The researchers used quartz crystals, like the wave transmitters in televisions and radios, which vibrate in an electrical field.
- Other covert radio transmitters available from security equipment dealers have serious drawbacks.
1.1A person or thing that transmits something: reggae has established itself as the principal transmitter of the Jamaican language
More example sentences
- Despite frequent inconsistencies and misapprehensions, the work was a principal transmitter of ancient science and Neoplatonic thought to the western Middle Ages.
- The queen's principal role was as bearer and transmitter of royalty, of which she took possession on the death of her husband.
- We must never forget that educators are not just transmitters of knowledge but cultivators of souls.
1.2 short for neurotransmitter.
- It is more difficult to deplete the supply of amine transmitters, which are made in the nerve terminal itself, so the ratio of the two transmitters released by nerve impulses will change.
- Other timely subjects included in this section are amino acid transmitters and neurodegenerative disorders.
- The chemical transmitter that mediates the change to pressures within the bowel has been identified as serotonin, a chemical found in the brain as well as in the bowel.
Definition of transmitter in:
- British & World English dictionary