- An orchestral instrument whose notated pitch is different from its sounded pitch, e.g., the clarinet and many brass instruments.More example sentences
- Most transposing instruments sound lower than the notated pitch.
- The lower oboes are treated as transposing instruments, their parts written to be fingered like treble oboe parts.
- I give students many different opportunities to read single-line transposing instruments before presenting them with full band or orchestral scores.
More definitions of transposing instrumentDefinition of transposing instrument in:
- The British & World English dictionary