Definition of treasure in English:
- He drew it back, cradling it like precious treasure.
- Russia, having annexed the Crimea, had embarked on a titanic struggle with the Ottoman Empire which was absorbing stupendous quantities of manpower and treasure.
- He had always sort of imagined love, a fact he guarded more carefully than the most precious of his treasure.
- Ancient manuscripts depicting the history of Armenia are housed in the national library, Madenataran, and are valued national and historical treasures.
- Sometimes, this involved the omission of some real treasures.
- If you don't drink the occasional bottle of Californian wine, then you're missing out on some real treasures.
- He's a national treasure and I just love the guy.
- Congratulations Maureen; you're one of Kilmead's real treasures.
- Oliver's been a real treasure and has loosely formed a routine for both day and night.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Passes will have to go to hand, ball will not have to be turned over and the side will need to treasure the ball more carefully than they are at present.
- I will be getting the shirt framed and will treasure it always.
- He remembered always treasuring it, and never wearing it, afraid it would be damaged.
- His employer treasured him, admired his skill greatly and paid him well.
- The years of youth are given to us only once by the Creator, to be treasured while possessed.
- Your personal relationship is to be respected and treasured as it has withstood the test of tide and time.
This came through Old French from Greek thēsauros ‘treasure, store, storehouse’, also the source of thesaurus. A treasure trove (Late Middle English) is now a collection of valuable or pleasing things that is found unexpectedly, but it originally referred to valuables of unknown ownership that were found hidden, which were the property of the Crown. The term came from Anglo-Norman French tresor trové meaning literally ‘found treasure’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.