Definition of tree of heaven in English:
A fast-growing Chinese ailanthus that is widely cultivated as an ornamental.
- Ailanthus altissima, family Simaroubaceae
- Two hundred years ago, a Philadelphia gardener imported the Chinese tree of heaven, and Chinese immigrants later introduced it on the West Coast.
- The tree of heaven opposite the church of Saints Peter and Paul was still entombed deep inside its branches but the faintest yellow-green fuzz had begun to blur the outline of willows on the banks of the River Vistula.
- This is a tree of heaven, aolanthus artissima, and this one's from China.
Definition of tree of heaven in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.