Definition of tree of heaven in English:
A fast-growing Chinese ailanthus that is widely cultivated as an ornamental.
- Ailanthus altissima, family Simaroubaceae
- Two hundred years ago, a Philadelphia gardener imported the Chinese tree of heaven, and Chinese immigrants later introduced it on the West Coast.
- The tree of heaven opposite the church of Saints Peter and Paul was still entombed deep inside its branches but the faintest yellow-green fuzz had begun to blur the outline of willows on the banks of the River Vistula.
- This is a tree of heaven, aolanthus artissima, and this one's from China.
Definition of tree of heaven in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan