- A type of combat in which opposing troops fight from trenches facing each other.More example sentences
- It stands as the biggest war on African soil since the beginning of the twentieth century, involving over half a million troops fighting in protracted trench warfare.
- Less than a year later, maneuver warfare had become trench warfare, a morass of mud and blood on an unprecedented scale.
- World War I was characterized by the extensive use of trench warfare, massive artillery bombardments, and battles of attrition.
More definitions of trench warfareDefinition of trench warfare in:
- The British & World English dictionary