Definition of trey in English:
noun (plural treys)
1A thing having three of something, in particular.
- Now, in our hour of need, comes the July issue of the New Yorker magazine with a trey of great articles.
- A trey of singles and a wild pitch later, the game is tied.
1.1US (In basketball) a shot scoring three points.
- The NBAers had the chance to win with the final shot but a trey by Antoine Walker came up short.
- The Tar Heels had just nailed a trey to knot the score late in this back and forth battle.
- AI put down 17 of 21 foul shots and 3 of 4 treys to go along with 11 dimes and 5 steals in what was arguably his best game of the season.
1.2A playing card or die with three spots.
- The minimum bid is two; the maximum is the total number of points available - either ten or seven, depending on whether you count the trey of trumps.
- But see, you never knew, because deuces became treys in the outer boroughs.
- Yet we don't count up two diamonds from the deuce and two from the trey, but treat each card as a complete unity.
Words that rhyme with treyaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, misplay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea
Definition of trey in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.