nounchiefly North American
- A court of law where cases are tried in the first place, as opposed to an appeals court.More example sentences
- Well, it is not for an appeal court or a trial court just to ignore a statute of the Commonwealth of Australia.
- It is important to note that in neither the trial court or the appeals court was the mother's lesbian relationship part of the decision.
- And, to the surprise of many First Amendment advocates, he prevailed in both the trial court and the court of appeals.
More definitions of trial courtDefinition of trial court in:
- The British & World English dictionary