Definition of tricksy in English:
adjective (tricksier, tricksiest)
1Clever in an ingenious or deceptive way: a typically tricksy beginning to his latest venture
More example sentences
- On the other hand, Jaki is clearly present in the rhythms which are straightforward but tricksy, deliberate but playful.
- They think up tricksy names, they might even hire an expensive designer to do them a label, and when it comes to the end, their wine is made in the same winery as all their rivals' wines.
- It's all well-played by the Northern Sinfonia under James Sinclair, and the music is sprightly and often engaging, but a lot of it is tricksy stuff, full of little efforts at musical humour or attention grabbing.
1.1(Of a person) playful or mischievous.
- Bawer is quite plainly a talented writer, but he is also tricksy, and he has a tendency to overload what are often perfectly valid points with debatable stylistic flourishes.
- But Gray is a tricksy fellow and might be fibbing.
- Strachan, on the other hand, was regarded as tricksy enough to outmanoeuvre his dour Aberdeen and Manchester United manager.
- Example sentences
- It is tricksily served on a wooden board in a Kilner jar; beneath a blob of goose fat on top of which is some beautifully dressed posh salad, alongside bowls of pickles and a rich plum chutney.
- He's capable of martial arts tricks, but he's at home in the depths of the enemy's defenses, plumbing into their secrets and tricksily discovering their greatest secrets.
- The songs are tricksily stylish pop that veers gleefully with unexpected time changes, and a charming fifties swing.
- Example sentences
- I had to settle for a mocked up photo of the man - plus a whole lot of artificial shadow tricksiness.
- The shifting set apart, the director Joe Dowling eschews any tricksiness, instead concentrating on making the most of his talented cast.
- It seems at times as if Malkani is enjoying his linguistic tricksiness so much he just can't stop himself.
Words that rhyme with tricksydixie, pixie, Trixie
Definition of tricksy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan