Definition of trigram in English:
1 another term for trigraph.
- At the zenith the trigram IHS appears, surrounded by saints and angels on zigzag over-solid clouds.
- Statistical analysis of the linguistic property of digram co-occurrence in textual material leads to a new, more effective simultaneous digram and trigram encoding technique.
- The trigram eau, for example, is a fairly infrequent phonogram.
2 Linguistics A group of consecutive written units such as letters, syllables, or words.
- We both use trigram analysis, but we aim ourselves at more serious users.
- It will be seen that, as well as pure diagrams, this method tends to find common trigrams (e.g. 'ver'), words (e.g. 'the'), morphemes (e.g. 'ing','s') and collocations (e.g. 'in the').
- The user's speech is broken down into "trigrams" - three-word segments.
3Each of the eight figures formed of three parallel lines, each either whole or broken, combined to form the sixty-four hexagrams of the I Ching.
- Looking at the I Ching from a quantum physics perspective, Terence and his brother Dennis discovered a wave pattern in the ordering of the Tarot's trigrams and hexagrams that suggested time could be mapped.
- Particular combinations in threes of the unbroken yang line and the broken yin line form symbolic trigrams that have particular meanings.
- The changes of a hexagram through internal trigrams and line changes give birth to the ‘four images,’ and the pearls and jade in the depth of the water cause the formation of square and round waves.
Definition of trigram in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan