- A group of three letters representing one sound, for example German sch-.More example sentences
- If three letters together represent a single sound, they constitute a trigraph, such as tch in catch and sch in schmaltz.
- Similarly, to take the consonant trigraph t c h, the teacher can explain that in this word the three letters together ‘say’ the sound.
- Both digraphs and trigraphs in French have their origin in history and phonology.
More definitions of trigraphDefinition of trigraph in:
- The British & World English dictionary