adjectiveBotany & Zoology
1Having parts arranged in groups of three.
- Trillium species are characterized by a single trimerous flower subtended by a whorl of three leaves.
- Some botanists noted certain similarities such as floral organs in trimerous whorls uniting members of this order and ‘primitive’ monocotyledons (Alisma).
- Basal lineages (Cabomba, Brasenia, Nuphar, and Barclaya) are trimerous with differentiated sepals and petals.
1.1Consisting of three joints or parts.
- The fossil flower, Lauranthus futabensis, gen. et sp. nov. is assigned to the Lauraceae based on the regular trimerous organization of the perianth and androecium, and the valvate anthers.
- Trillium govanianum possesses characters normally seen in only Paris such as filiform petals and ellipsoid, monosulcate pollen, but it shares having trimerous flowers with Trillium.
Definition of trimerous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.