Definition of trimerous in English:
adjectiveBotany & Zoology
1Having parts arranged in groups of three.
- Trillium species are characterized by a single trimerous flower subtended by a whorl of three leaves.
- Some botanists noted certain similarities such as floral organs in trimerous whorls uniting members of this order and ‘primitive’ monocotyledons (Alisma).
- Basal lineages (Cabomba, Brasenia, Nuphar, and Barclaya) are trimerous with differentiated sepals and petals.
1.1Consisting of three joints or parts.
- The fossil flower, Lauranthus futabensis, gen. et sp. nov. is assigned to the Lauraceae based on the regular trimerous organization of the perianth and androecium, and the valvate anthers.
- Trillium govanianum possesses characters normally seen in only Paris such as filiform petals and ellipsoid, monosulcate pollen, but it shares having trimerous flowers with Trillium.
Definition of trimerous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan