- A large, heavy pivoted hammer used in forging, raised by a cam or lever and allowed to drop on the metal being worked.More example sentences
- This shaft powered a bandsaw, a lawn mower sharpener, an emery wheel grinder, a disc sharpener, a forge blower, and a trip hammer.
- Before it had cooled the smith was passing the glowing rod through the trip hammer, more sparks flying and rebounding from his apron as the length of metal was pounded and folded around the slat of the central core.
- In the fall of 1841 Pulaski Carter put in three trip hammers and three forges.
More definitions of trip hammerDefinition of trip hammer in:
- The British & World English dictionary