Definition of triploid in English:
1(Of a cell or nucleus) containing three homologous sets of chromosomes.
- The triploid endosperm nucleus is derived from the fusion of two polar nuclei from the female parent and one sperm nucleus from the male.
- In this type of endosperm, which is the most common in cereals, development starts with several rounds of divisions of the triploid nucleus without cytokinesis.
- The first stage, grain enlargement, involves early, rapid division of the zygote and triploid nucleus.
1.1(Of an organism or species) composed of triploid cells.
- Two samples from the original data set were omitted because one was from a triploid plant and the other from a tetraploid.
- So-called triploid fish are unable to reach maturity and so are unable to breed.
- The endosperm, a result of double fertilization in flowering plants, is a triploid tissue whose genetic composition is more complex than diploid tissue.
nounBack to top
A triploid organism, variety, or species.
- Little is known about the transition from diploidy to polyploidy but in some species, triploids are thought to function as intermediates in this transition.
- The populations showed continuous morphological variation connecting the species, but karyotypically they consisted of only three types of plants: diploids, triploids, and tetraploids.
- Moreover, the high loads of inviable or weak aneuploid pollen produced by triploids induce high selfing rates in normally self-incompatible sexual diploids.
- Example sentences
- Although triploidy and haploidy of chromosomal regions in humans often cause viable or semiviable developmental defects, it is difficult to identify regions of the genome that are haplolethal.
- In humans, 10% of spontaneous miscarriages are due to triploidy, but triploids of fish and amphibians can grow to adults and some species are even fixed in the triploid state.
- Multiple gestation, gestational trophoblastic disease, triploidy, trisomy 21 syndrome, and hydrops fetalis have been associated with an increased incidence of hyperemesis gravidarum.
Definition of triploid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan