Definition of tripwire in English:
1A wire stretched close to the ground, working a trap, explosion, or alarm when disturbed and serving to detect or prevent people or animals entering an area.
- Then attach a tripwire to the dead animal with the other end attached to a loaded shotgun.
- She's devising a plan to lay a trap for them with tripwires and a lot of tin foil - apparently they like shiny things - but she doesn't have high hopes.
- He was a genius at creating special booby traps and tripwires, all sorts of custom-made devices designed to inflict maximum pain and damage.
1.1A comparatively weak military force employed as a first line of defense, engagement with which will trigger the intervention of strong forces.
- Why is the administration proposing to abandon the long-standing tripwire function of U.S. forces in the country?
- Moreover, the troop tripwire makes it America's problem.
- Replacing the American tripwire would be expensive for the country.
Words that rhyme with tripwireBlantyre • saltire • haywire
Definition of tripwire in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.