Definition of triumphant in English:
- Each of the domes represents a battle in Ivan's triumphant war against the rebellious khan of Kazan.
- The long-awaited opening will mark the triumphant end of a battle stretching back up to four years.
- To be triumphant in the battle, you have to focus on your innate desire to be good.
- "Reason number three right there, " Faith said with a triumphant smile.
- People forgot the gloom of post-war hardships and were joyful, proud and triumphant.
- When Canada wins by one point, Joe is triumphant - Team USA humbled and shocked.
Of the two words triumphant and triumphal, the more common is triumphant, which means ‘victorious’ or ‘exultant’: she led an arduous campaign to its triumphant conclusion; he returned triumphant with a patent for his device. Triumphal means ‘used in or celebrating a triumph’: a triumphal parade.
- Example sentences
- He smiles triumphantly as he hands over my coffee, a man scoring a minuscule personal victory over global corporate policy.
- The movie generally ends with a standing ovation from your disaffected colleagues as you march triumphantly out the door.
- The article triumphantly reported that every single band member can play more than one instrument.
Words that rhyme with triumphantsycophant • elegant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.