Definition of trivial name in English:
1A name that is in general use although not part of systematic nomenclature: its common trivial name is citric acid Compare with systematic name.
More example sentences
- IUPAC maintains a number of historical names called trivial names that identify well-known elements and compounds.
- We listed a trivial name only in cases, such as ‘methyl orange’, where all that was needed was to identify ‘the substance in the bottle’.
- The Levinson system of nomenclature was proposed originally for rare-earth minerals in order to avoid a proliferation of trivial names.
1.1chiefly Zoology another term for specific epithet.
- The trivial name enormis must be a joke as the holotype is only 23 mm in length!
- The trivial name nudus (L.) refers to the lack of cirri on the column of this new species of Camptocrinus.
- The generic name is taken from the trivial name of Xanthilites verrucoides in reference to the wart-like appearance of the ornamentation of the two species in this genus.
Definition of trivial name in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.