Definition of Trojan in English:
Of or relating to ancient Troy in Asia Minor: Trojan legends
More example sentences
- In Homer's epic ‘Illiad,’ snakes are even the avengers sent by gods to punish Trojan priest Laocoon who warns the Trojans against the Greek's scheme using a wooden horse.
- But, when scrutinized closely, the later Roman relationship to Trojan civilization exists in name only.
- He prophesies the founding of Rome, after several generations of Trojan descendants are born in Italy.
nounBack to top
- work like a Trojan (or Trojans)
- Work extremely hard.Example sentences
- He works like a Trojan and takes enormous pride in his produce.
- He carried on working like a Trojan and kept up a punishing travel schedule that took him to factories all over the Far East, overseeing the manufacture of his shoe designs.
- He tells us that although there has been inactivity on our part, ‘the ground staff have been working like Trojans’.
Middle English: from Latin Troianus, from Troia 'Troy'.
Words that rhyme with Trojantheologian
Definition of Trojan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.