Definition of troupial in English:
A gregarious songbird of the American oriole family, typically having orange and black plumage and yellow eyes.
- Genus Icterus, family Icteridae: several species, in particular the tropical American Icterus icterus
- The eggs are incubated for 15 or 16 days and newly hatched troupials are fed equally by both parents.
- Above the sounds of the powerful wind, parakeets and troupials can be heard chattering, and the bleating of goats reverberates across rolling hills.
- You can see the troupials just about everywhere on the island.
early 19th century: from French troupiale, alteration of American Spanish turpial, of unknown origin.
Definition of troupial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan