Definition of trout lily in English:
A North American dogtooth violet with yellow flowers, so called from its mottled leaves. Also called adder's tongue.
- Erythronium americanum, family Liliaceae
- This triggers the appearance of a number of wildflowers: trillium, phlox, trout lily, Dutchman's breeches, violets, wild strawberries and many more.
- Further along the same bed is a group of Erythronium revolutum, the American trout lily, which has also been gradually increasing each year.
- But on his acreage you can be just an instant from trillium, twin leaf, and trout lily.
Definition of trout lily in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.