Definition of trunk in English:
1The main woody stem of a tree as distinct from its branches and roots.
- Trees with large trunks and deep anchoring roots represent the ultimate challenge in withstanding oxygen-deprivation in wetland habitats.
- He then sat down with his back to Hunter and Jason and began rooting through the fallen trunk of a tree.
- Many plants have a number of distinct organs: roots, stems or trunks, leaves, fertile parts.
1.1The main part of an artery, nerve, or other anatomical structure from which smaller branches arise.
- The main trunk of the stapedial artery atrophies and its origin from the internal carotid disappears.
- The posterior communicating artery is sometimes joined with the middle cerebral artery instead of the trunk of the internal carotid.
- These plaques can extend to the great veins, coronary sinus, pulmonary trunk, and main pulmonary arteries.
1.2 short for trunk line.
1.3An enclosed shaft or conduit for cables or ventilation.
- We have also strange and artificial echoes and we have means to convey sounds in trunks and pipes in strange lines and distances.
- Tailor-welded blanks are used in the doors, but the trunk is laser welded and built with two sets of tools.
- Workers cleaned and repaired the Baghdad trunk sewer line and its associated manholes and pumping stations.
2A person’s or animal’s body apart from the limbs and head.
- The somites, now positioned on either side of the neural tube, give rise to the vertebrae and ribs, to the muscles of the trunk and limbs, and also contribute to the dermis of the skin.
- The rash usually starts on the trunk of the body in red bumps.
- They are unlike chickenpox, which develops first on the trunk of the body and is seen in various stages of development.
3The elongated, prehensile nose of an elephant.
- The trunk of an Asian elephant is so exquisitely prehensile that it can pick up a dime from a concrete floor.
- The elephants nosed their trunks toward the stream, taking sips with two finger-like appendages.
- The bones belong to an animal in the order Proboscidea - large mammals with trunks - the same order that includes living elephants.
4A large box with a hinged lid for storing or transporting clothes and other articles.
- These tiny documents were purchased by a flea market trader in a trunk stored in the attic of a prominent Savannah family during the dispersal of an estate.
- She took her few clothes from her trunk and walked to the wardrobe with them.
- Two trunks with property are stored under the bed, and also two TVs, one on a fold-out desk, the other on a shelf for the top bunk.
4.1North American The space at the back of a car for carrying luggage and other goods.
- He lifted my luggage out of the trunk and carried it up the stairs, hardly granting me a look as he passed us and went inside.
- Both the rear seat and trunk get decent space, and sliding in and out of the car is considerably easier.
- Right now we don't generate enough to have a car with a very heavy frame, trunk space, glove compartment, cup holders and air conditioning.
luggage compartment, back
- Example sentences
- The elephants are shovelling great trunkfuls of fruit into their mouths.
- You won't catch us sniggering at the idea of someone packing a trunkful of jeans for different leg-size days.
- Much of the fashion is museum quality eighteenth and nineteenth century costumes, including trunkfuls of grand Russian court ball gowns.
- Example sentences
- But this tapirlike animal seems to have been trunkless.
- Sporadically interspersed with the trees are stands of trunkless Attalea palms, from which the brown capuchins forage for the palm nuts - an unlikely habitat to find monkeys at all, let alone capuchins.
Pronunciation: /-ˌfo͝ol/noun (plural trunkfuls)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan