Definition of trypanosome in English:
nounMedicine & Zoology
A single-celled parasitic protozoan with a trailing flagellum, infesting the blood.
- Genus Trypanosoma, phylum Kinetoplastida, kingdom Protista
- Extensive literature exists on human African trypanosomiasis and trypanosomes, but it is mostly confined to basic sciences and neglects clinical research and the impact of the disease on large parts of the population in rural Africa.
- Transmitted by tsetse flies, in which the trypanosomes of African sleeping sickness develop, they enter their human host by the bite of the fly.
- In the blood the organisms take on the form of trypanosomes, whereas in tissue Leishmania forms are found.
Early 20th century: from Greek trupanon 'borer' + -some3.
Definition of trypanosome in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.