(also tsetse fly)
Definition of tsetse in English:
An African bloodsucking fly that bites humans and other mammals, transmitting sleeping sickness and nagana.
- Genus Glossina, family Tabanidae: several species
- It is caused by a protozoan, Trypanosoma brucei, which is transmitted to humans through the bite of a tsetse fly.
- The tsetse fly transmits sleeping sickness, midges transmits lumpy skin disease and three-day stiff sickness.
- Due to the altitude, much of the region is free of malarial mosquitoes and the tsetse and other flies that spread human and animal diseases.
mid 19th century: from Setswana.
Definition of tsetse in:
- British & World English dictionary