(also tsetse fly)
Definition of tsetse in English:
An African bloodsucking fly that bites humans and other mammals, transmitting sleeping sickness and nagana.
- Genus Glossina, family Tabanidae: several species
- It is caused by a protozoan, Trypanosoma brucei, which is transmitted to humans through the bite of a tsetse fly.
- The tsetse fly transmits sleeping sickness, midges transmits lumpy skin disease and three-day stiff sickness.
- Due to the altitude, much of the region is free of malarial mosquitoes and the tsetse and other flies that spread human and animal diseases.
mid 19th century: from Setswana.
Words that rhyme with tsetseBetsy
Definition of tsetse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan