Definition of tuberous in English:
1 Botany Of the nature of a tuber. See tuberous root.
- Basal leaves and flowers initiate from a tuberous rhizome and three green cauline leaves arranged in a whorl form an involucre around the developing flower.
- The Arrow label covers crops such as soybeans, cotton, alfalfa, leafy tuberous and fruiting vegetables, sugar beets, peanuts, sunflowers and potatoes.
- It grows from a creeping tuberous rhizome, a root-like horizontal stem growing just below the surface of the soil.
1.1(Of a plant) having tubers or a tuberous root.
- Planting bulbous and tuberous plants under evergreen trees is not advisable.
- This tuberous perennial plant is native to southern Asia.
- Being originally a mountain plant, the tuberous begonia grows superbly in cool mountain districts like Ballarat and Erica.
2 Medicine Characterized by or affected by rounded swellings: tuberous sclerosis
More example sentences
- At some point, seizures affect 80 percent of patients with tuberous sclerosis.
- Two patients were known to have tuberous sclerosis.
- Cardiac rhabdomyomas occur in 50 percent of patients with tuberous sclerosis.
- Example sentences
- The muscle inserts onto the dorsal aspect of the tuberosity of the fifth metatarsal.
- Radiographs are usually negative; rarely, they show avulsion of the apophysis at the tibial tuberosity.
- Fractures of the greater tuberosity may be best visualized with an axillary or a Y view.
Words that rhyme with tuberousbarbarous • slumberous
Definition of tuberous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan