1Long, round, and hollow like a tube: tubular flowers of deep crimson
More example sentences
- In late spring, the arching stems carry drooping clusters of small, tubular flowers that are white tipped with green.
- Descending rows of dots and extended tubular shapes meander across pale blue and green backgrounds.
- The plant has smooth, shiny, oval leaves and tubular flowers.
1.1Made from a tube or tubes: tubular steel chairs
More example sentences
- From hand-made Boston rockers with hand-turned spindles, designers turned to cantilevered cane-backed chairs made of tubular steel.
- His first piece, this cantilevered chair of tubular steel forms a wide, smooth curve and takes full advantage of the materials used.
- It became one of the most influential homes of the 20th century, with its enormous plate glass windows, tubular steel furniture, and open planning concepts.
1.2 Surfing (Of a wave) hollow and well curved.
- Waves are fast, sometimes tubular and perfect, breaking on sand always in the bay
- These surfers perform their dance on tubular swells that even today's heroes might not have attempted.
- When an approaching swell hits this reef wall a third of a mile offshore, it creates a tubular wave so powerful that it has been called a ‘freak of hydrodynamics.’
2 Medicine Of or involving tubules or other tube-shaped structures.
- Sections of the fragment showed a glandular proliferation consisting of tubular structures of different sizes separated by spindle stromal elements.
- A ‘pseudotumor’ of the extrahepatic biliary tract, the nodular lesion is characterized by tubular structures that are lined by columnar or cuboidal cells.
- Part of the tumor was composed of ductal and anastomosing tubular structures made up of luminal cells and myoepithelial cells.
1 short for tubular tire.
- The rim is of course heavier due to the clincher's sidewalls as opposed to the simple and strong outer surface of a tubular rim, and the extra weight of the rim-grabbing foot adds significantly to the weight of a tubular.
- We're hoping the racers we have testing them tell us they ride even better than a tubular.
- I have a quick comment on the Tufo clincher tubular.
2 (tubulars) Oil-drilling equipment made from tubes.
- The present invention provides methods and apparatus for cutting tubulars in a wellbore.
- The present invention relates to apparatus for cleaning the interior bore of well bore tubulars, such as is found in the oil and gas production industries.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.