Definition of tuco-tuco in English:
noun (plural tuco-tucos)
A burrowing ratlike rodent native to South America.
- Family Ctenomyidae and genus Ctenomys: numerous species
- The name ‘tuco-tuco’ comes from alarm calls in response to danger; other calls are also known in the more social species.
- This long-term line of research focuses on tuco-tucos as a model for the study of diversification.
- The one known exception is the social tuco-tuco, found in Argentina, which lives in colonies.
Mid 19th century: imitative of the call of some species.
Definition of tuco-tuco in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.