- 1A tuft or clump of something: grass tuffetsMore example sentences
- Our cat, Mick, has what we lovingly refer to as "tuffets of hair".
- Have you been gambolling on the hillsides, skipping over bluebells and snowdrops whilst hiding eggs under tuffets of grass, listening to the call of new-born chicks?
- 2A footstool or low seat.More example sentences
- By the way, a tuffet is a low stool, which she could sit on while milking the cow whose milk made the whey.
- They had to make do with kitchen tuffets, orange boxes, a piano stool and a rocking chair borrowed from next door.
- Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey.
mid 16th century: alteration of tuft.
More definitions of tuffetDefinition of tuffet in:
- The British & World English dictionary