Definition of tunicate in English:
A marine invertebrate of a group that includes the sea squirts and salps. They have a rubbery or hard outer coat and two siphons to draw water into and out of the body.
- Subphylum Urochordata: three classes
- The hull here is rich in marine life - hydroids, tunicates, anemones and sponges.
- Sea squirts are tunicates, a type of sea life with a primitive spinal cord and a firm, flexible outer covering called a ‘tunic,’ from which the name derives.
- Many tunicates have a larva that is free-swimming and exhibits all chordate characteristics: it has a notochord, a dorsal nerve cord, pharyngeal slits, and a post-anal tail.
adjective(usually tunicated) Botany Back to top
Words that rhyme with tunicatecommunicate, excommunicate, intercommunicate
Definition of tunicate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.