noun(usually turbinals) Anatomy & Zoology
- Each of three thin curved shelves of bone in the sides of the nasal cavity in humans and other warm-blooded vertebrates, covered in mucous membrane.More example sentences
- In mammals, the ethmoid ossifies to form the turbinals, convoluted bones in the nasal cavity that are covered by olfactory sense organs.
- At least in mammals, turbinals come in at least two functional varieties.
- The auditory bullae and the turbinals also tend to be large and complex.
late 16th century (as an adjective in the sense 'top-shaped'): from Latin turbo, turbin- 'spinning top' + -al.
More definitions of turbinalDefinition of turbinal in:
- The British & World English dictionary